Happy Labor Day!
We’re squeezing in two more days of summer vacation up at the cottage before we accept the fact that summer is over. So, since our weekend is still going and I’m not ready to recap it yet, here’s a fun and simple recipe. These would be a perfect back to school breakfast or after school snack. Just add a glass of milk!
Always on the search to try something new for Lucy (and myself!), I found this recipe for energy bites on Pinterest. They were super easy to make (I whipped them up in about 15 minutes during nap time), and they taste delicious!
I love recipes with simple ingredients. A few things to note here:
1. The chia seed were added as an “extra” and are not necessary to the recipe.
2. Because I knew the balls would be little (and Lucy would be eating them), I wanted to use mini chocolate chips. Meijer was somehow out of both the Nestle and Meijer brands so I went with the Ghirardelli. They make a darn good brownie mix, but I wasn’t crazy about the chocolate chips! They taste fine mixed into a recipe, but I didn’t love them when I popped a handful into my mouth. That’s probably not a bad thing!
3. All natural peanut butter is best for this recipe because it doesn’t have the added sugar and other oils.
1 3/4 cup oats (regular or quick)
3/4 cup all natural peanut butter
1/3 cup honey (or slightly more if needed to hold mixture together)
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
Optional: 1/4 cup chia seeds, wheat germ, or ground flax seeds.
1. In a medium bowl, stir together all of the ingredients.
2. Form the dough into about 24 tablespoon sized balls (I used my tablespoon cookie scoop. I didn’t count the exact number that I got, but I’m certain it was less than 24.)
3. Refrigerate for at least an hour before enjoying.
4. To store, place in a Ziploc bag or storage container and refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
I just stacked mine up in a Tupperware container.
I thought they were delicious, and Lucy agreed!
One day Lucy got a little sassy and threw her half eaten ball onto the floor for the dogs. They can also vouch for the yumminess!